The Somerset County Historical Society holds a collection of published and unpublished historical reference and genealogical materials for Somerset County and the State of New Jersey. While our resources are limited, we are happy to provide assistance to anyone undertaking historical or genealogical research related to Somerset County, New Jersey.
For those not able to come to the library, we provide limited research services for a fee. Requests are handled in the order they are received. Typical wait time is 4 to 6 weeks.
You can contact us by e-mail, U.S. mail, or telephone. Please include your name, address, and your preferred method of contact, email or phone number, with your query. Please include payment with your request or scroll to the bottom of the page to make payment online.
SCHS Fee Schedule:
Research: $25 fee for two hours research of materials in our collections regardless of results found. This research fee includes up to 10 photocopies. Fees for postage and additional photocopies ($.20 page) may apply.
Photocopies: Requests for photocopies of specific items will be charged at $.20 per page + postage with a minimum charge of $5.00.
Photographs: Digital copies of photographs in our collection can be obtained for $15.00 per item.
Please see our Photocopy & Reproduction Policy below.
Research volunteers: Marian Meyer & Jackie Lubinski
Mail: 9 Van Veghten Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Please familiarize yourself with our research policy before visiting the library.
Hours: The library is open every Tuesday from 11 am to 3 pm and the 2nd Saturday of each month from 12 pm to 3 pm, except for major holidays. Alternate arrangements may be made at the discretion of the librarian or research assistant. If traveling from out of the town, please call or email prior to your visit to confirm we are open. Prior notice of your visit will also allow us to confirm we have materials relevant to your research.
Registration: Upon arrival, please sign in at the front table. The library is on the second floor to the right.
1. Hang your coat and personal items on the hooks provided. Tote bags, computer cases, etc. may be placed on open shelves. Only keep the materials essential for note taking with you.
2. Pencils only may be used in the library. Pens, markers, etc. are NOT permitted. Laptop computers and tablets are welcome. Scanners are not allowed.
3. To protect our historical materials, no smoking is allowed in the building. Eating and drinking are prohibited on the second floor.
4. Our volunteers will assist you with finding appropriate materials to begin your research. Visitors are allowed in the research library only. Materials needed from other areas will be retrieved by a volunteer.
5. All library/archival materials must be handled carefully; use only one folder at a time and keep the papers in their existing order. Do not place books or volumes face down or stack open books on top of each other. Do not lean or press on archival materials. Do not trace maps or other records. Please use gloves, if you are asked to do so.
6. No library/archival materials may be removed from the library.
7. Please leave books on the table when done. Do not reshelf. All other materials should be returned to a volunteer.
Unless restricted or protected by copyright, photocopies of library material will be supplied for research purposes for a fee of 20 cents per page. A volunteer will photocopy the materials for you.
Archival materials may be photocopied at the discretion of the librarian. With permission, researchers may use a digital camera or cell phone without flash to copy archival documents. No photographs or scans of archival photographs are permitted. Should there be a need, researchers can request that the society create a digital copy of a photographic image. The fee is $15.00 per image.
Researchers are advised that it is their responsibility, not the historical society’s, to obtain copyright clearance to publish or otherwise reproduce or distribute archival material.
Copyright: If publishing material from the archives, please credit the Somerset County Historical Society.
John Smith, obituary. Somerset Messenger Gazette (Bridgewater, N.J.) 12 June 1958, p. 6. Accessed at Somerset County Historical Society, Bridgewater, N.J., 22 Aug 2019.
To submit payment for research fees click the green button. Enter fee amount and note "Research Fees" in the Notes field.
Funding for the Somerset County Historical Society is provided, in part,
by the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State, through the State/County History Partnership Program Grant and administered by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Copyright © 2019
Somerset County Historical Society.
All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder