Be Well and Stay Safe in these history making times.
Be a part of a dynamic, 125 + year old band of history lovers of all ages
redefining what an Historical Society in the 21st century can be.
Make a Difference! Find your niche!
Find New Friends!
Can't wait to get started? You can join by mail or online.
We've had our first donation!!! Thank You to the Kraidman family for donating a coat rack in June !
As with any all-volunteer organization, there are always more things we’d like to do than there are hands or time. We’ve decided to share our wish list to see if other history lovers out there can help.
Can you make a donation or gift in kind for any of the items listed below? We are a 5013c organization and your gift may be tax deductible. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options. Use the topic: donation.
Are you looking for something to pass the time/make a contribution/have some fun? There are many options at the Van Veghten House with the Somerset County Historical Society. Check out our people skills requests. Some are one time things, some can be done off site, some are at the headquarters building, some can be done alone, some get you involved with others. There is no age limit!
2-4 card tables,
long table to seat 8,
small bistro- size round tables
Bike parking rack
Sign/historical marker about 1778-79 encampment in wetlands (placed near parking lot?)
Microphones, projection screen, hearing assistance devices
Easels or floor display stands
Official name tags for board positions (not disposable) for events
Circular or oval meeting table and chairs
Colonial period music CDs
Manikins or dress maker forms to display period costumes
Table top Brochure Rack
Metal utility storage shelves (for archives)
Seedlings and transplants for landscaping (we have a list of deer resistant suggestions)
Help with mowing and yard maintenance
Potholes in driveway filled
Move stone mile marker out of side porch
Mend and Paint outside window sills, repair screening on side porch
Address cracking of interior walls
Signage to house added/improved
Bamboo grove removed/cut back
Clean all layers of windows and curtains (must remove plexiglass to accomplish this)
Clean display cases and label all items
Fix/replace braided rug in “parlor.”
Reorganize and inventory storage under stairs and in telephone closet off “parlor”
Set up Society work space/office in upstairs back room (non- public area)
Spruce up hearth in original kitchen. (Add period appropriate period cookware ?)
Wash and wax all floors
Address cracking plaster walls
People With Skills
- Landscaping plan, including improved ADA accessibility from parking lot and around house, improved sight line to river (trim bushes and tree branches) stairway or path down our hill into wetlands on our property, design decorative bridge to span irrigation channel. Suggest garden design (deer resistant, please)
- Writing to:
-Create FAQ handout for visitors
-Help creating pdf program and scripts for talks about
1. the house,
2. the Van Veghten family,
3. the history of the society, and
4. brief bios of visitors to the house during the Revolution
-Writer/ display artist to regularly research and highlight treasures in our collection
-Research/prepare articles for quarterly newsletter
-Create brochure about our property and wetlands as handout for hiking tours
-Technician to help with Mail Chimp email distributions, newsletter prep, website and Facebook accounts
-Organize and develop material for fundraising efforts with businesses and corporations
- Use house’s dog mascot, “Hoss,” creatively in marketing.
- Visitor follow-up coordinator (revise postcard; create digital post card and letterhead paper. Thank all visitors)
- Museum assistant to label all items on display (to meet federal ADA guidelines).
- Volunteers Coordinator – people link specialist
- Interviewers and transcriptionists to assist with collecting and recording oral histories
- Organizer to plan and coordinate special events ie., work days, celebrations, memorials, outreach events, fund raisers, cleaning, etc.
- Someone to transcribe original documents on display ((handwritten script is hard to read and children are no longer learning to write script)
- Assist with researching genealogy requests
- Manager for museum “store” to better display, add merchandise, improve income.
- Set up microfilm reader area. Test all old equipment and recommend disposition
- Develop a “traveling museum” lend/lease kit for use in schools. Decide on artifacts; develop curriculum and teaching aids.
- Programming coordinator-work with committee to organize public lectures and speakers
- Identify how to incorporate child oriented features in everything—outreach materials, displays at house, talks, etc
-Create a “coloring book” project about the house, its history, or life in the last 300 years on the property
Funding for the Somerset County Historical Society is provided, in part,
by the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State, through the State/County History Partnership Program Grant and administered by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Copyright © 2020
Somerset County Historical Society.
All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder