A NEW listing of our Manuscript Collection is available under the Collection Tab.
Be a part of a dynamic, 135 + year old band of history lovers of all ages redefining what history means in the 21st century.
Stay Active! We're a perfect day trip for you and your family
Visit. Tour. Hike. Quarterly we hike in the Wetlands in front of the house.
Periodically we present speakers and set up info tables at local events.
Make a Difference! Find your niche!
Support Preservation and Research !
Join in person, by mail or online.
Can You Help?
Like any all-volunteer organization, there are always more things we’d like to do than there are hands or time. We’ve decided to share our wish list to see if other history lovers out there can help.
Are you looking for something to pass the time/make a contribution/have some fun? There are many options at the Van Veghten House and Howe Farmstead with the Somerset County Historical Society. Check out our people skills requests. Some are one time things, some can be done off site, some are at the headquarters building, some can be done alone, some get you involved with others. There is no age limit!
Prefer not to commit your time or talent at this time? Perhaps you can make a donation or gift in kind for any of the items listed below? We are a 501 (c) (3) organization and your gift may be tax deductible. Please call or email us at email@example.com to discuss options. Use the topic: donation.
Tree trimming, branch collection
Funds to acquire paint and other supplies.
Help with mowing, yard and garden maintenance
Add /improve Signage to house
Gardens weeded and new plants added
Add/improve walkways around house to meet ADA standards
Help with our library acquisitions and indexing
Help us reorganize furniture to include more display cases
Help us set up a more appealing "store." (Filling the display cases)
Transcribe original documents on display ((handwritten script is hard to read and children are no longer learning to write script)
Clean all layers of windows and curtains (must remove plexiglass to accomplish this)
Periodic house cleaning--sweeping, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning
Reorgznizing old display cases and label ling all items with ADA standards
Fix/replace braided rug in “parlor.” (Curved needle and thread available)
Spruce up hearth in original kitchen. (Add period appropriate period cookware ?)
Wash and wax all floors
Improve internal work space/office in upstairs back room (non- public area)
People With Skills
- Landscaper to help create a plan, including improved ADA accessibility from parking lot and around house, improved sight line to river (trim bushes and tree branches) stairway or path down our hill into wetlands on our property, design decorative bridge to span irrigation channel. Suggest garden design (deer resistant, please)
- Writers to:
-Create FAQ handout
-Prepare articles for newsletter or coordinate others
-Help with scripts for talks about
1. the house,
2. the Van Veghten family,
3. the history of the society, and
4. brief bios of visitors to the house during the Revolution
- Display artist to regularly suggest Treasures in our collection to be highlighted
-Help with Mail Chimp email distributions, newsletter prep, website and Facebook accounts
- Artists to create line drawings for a “coloring book” project about the house, its history, or life in the last 300 years on the property
- Grant writing assistance
- Advice about fund raising efforts with businesses and corporations
- Advice for how to use house’s dog mascot, “Hoss,” creatively in marketing.
- Identify how to incorporate child oriented features in everything—outreach materials, displays at house, talks, etc
-Ordinary folk with time
- Visitor follow-up coordinator to send thankyous to visitors. and welcome letter to new members.
Assistant in museum to label all items on display (to meet federal ADA guidelines).
- Volunteers Coordinator – people link specialist
- Interviewers and transcriptionists to assist with collecting and recording oral histories
- Advice for how to organize, plan and coordinate special events ie., work days, celebrations, memorials, outreach events, fund raisers, cleaning, etc.
- Assist with researching genealogy requests
- Programming coordinator--work with committee to organize public lectures and speakers
- Develop a “traveling museum” lend/lease kit for use in schools. Decide on artifacts; develop curriculum and teaching aids.
Pendeflex folders, copy paper, notebooks, printer ink, etc.
Assorted Furniture for group meetings would also be welcome, like folding chairs, small tables, audio visual equipment, display racks, etc. Email us to discuss possibilities.