Check out our Electronic Store for beautiful heritage sportswear!
Be a part of a dynamic, 130 + year old band of history lovers of all ages
redefining what an Historical Society in the 21st century can be.
Stay Active! We're perfect day trip for you and your family
Make a Difference! Find your niche!
Find New Friends!
Join in person, by mail or online.
Can You Help?
Like any all-volunteer organization, there are always more things we’d like to do than there are hands or time. We’ve decided to share our wish list to see if other history lovers out there can help.
There are many options at the Van Veghten House with the Somerset County Historical Society. Our people skills requests vary. Some are one time things, some can be done off site, some are at the headquarters building, some can be done alone, some get you involved with others. There is no age limit!
Make a donation or gift in kind for any of the items listed below. We are a 5013c organization and your gift may be tax deductible. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options. Use the topic: donation.
Outside There are two big projects in 2021: Touching up peeling paint and putting in a Native Plant Garden.
Looking for funds to acquire paint and other supplies.
Help with mowing and yard maintenance
Potholes in driveway filled
Signage to house added/improved
Bamboo grove cut back
Native plant garden installed
Transcribe original documents on display ((handwritten script is hard to read and children are no longer learning to write script)
Clean all layers of windows and curtains (must remove plexiglass to accomplish this)
Clean display cases and label all items
Fix/replace braided rug in “parlor.”
Spruce up hearth in original kitchen. (Add period appropriate period cookware ?)
Wash and wax all floors
Improve internal work space/office in upstairs back room (non- public area)
People With Skills
- Landscaper to help create a plan, including improved ADA accessibility from parking lot and around house, improved sight line to river (trim bushes and tree branches) stairway or path down our hill into wetlands on our property, design decorative bridge to span irrigation channel. Suggest garden design (deer resistant, please)
- Writers to:
-Create FAQ handout
-Prepare articles for newsletter or coordinate others
-Help with scripts for talks about
1. the house,
2. the Van Veghten family,
3. the history of the society, and
4. brief bios of visitors to the house during the Revolution
- Display artist to regularly suggest Treasures in our collection to be highlighted
- Marketing/Publicity Specialist
-Help with Mail Chimp email distributions, newsletter prep, website and Facebook accounts
- Artists to create line drawings for a “coloring book” project about the house, its history, or life in the last 300 years on the property
- Retail Manager to assist with museum “store” to better display, add merchandise, improve income.
- Grant writing assistance
- Advice about fund raising efforts with businesses and corporations
- Advice for how to use house’s dog mascot, “Hoss,” creatively in marketing.
- Identify how to incorporate child oriented features in everything—outreach materials, displays at house, talks, etc
-Ordinary folk with time
- Visitor follow-up coordinator to send thankyous to visitors.
- Museum assistant to label all items on display (to meet federal ADA guidelines).
- Volunteers Coordinator – people link specialist
- Interviewers and transcriptionists to assist with collecting and recording oral histories
- Advice for how to organize, plan and coordinate special events ie., work days, celebrations, memorials, outreach events, fund raisers, cleaning, etc.
- Assist with researching genealogy requests
- Programming coordinator-work with committee to organize public lectures and speakers
- Develop a “traveling museum” lend/lease kit for use in schools. Decide on artifacts; develop curriculum and teaching aids.
Assorted Furniture for group meetings would also be welcome, like folding chairs, small tables, audio visual equipment, display racks, etc. Email us to discuss possibilities.