The Somerset County Historical Society has a large collection of published and unpublished historical reference and genealogical materials for Somerset County and the State of New Jersey. While our resources are limited, we are happy to provide assistance to anyone undertaking historical or genealogical research related to Somerset County, New Jersey. For those not able to come to the library, we provide research services for a fee. Please see fee schedule below.
You can contact us by e-mail, U.S. mail, or telephone. Please include your name, address, and your preferred method of contact, email or phone number, with your query. Please include payment with your request or scroll to the bottom of the page to make payment online.
Members: $10 per hour, $.20 per page plus postage for mailed items
Non-members: $20 per hour, $.20 per page plus postage for mailed items
Research is limited to two hours per request and fees are due at time of request.
Requests are handled in the order they are received. Typical wait time is 4 to 6 weeks.
Mail: 9 Van Veghten Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Please familiarize yourself with our research policy before visiting the library. HOURS: The library is open every Tuesday from 12 pm to 3 pm and the 2nd Saturday of each month from 12 pm to 3 pm, except for major holidays. Alternate arrangements may be made at the discretion of the librarian or research assistant. If traveling from out of the town, please call or email prior to your visit to confirm we are open. Prior notice of your visit will also allow us to confirm we have materials relevant to your research.
REGISTRATION: Upon arrival at Van Veghten House, please sign in at the front table. The library is on the second floor to the right.
1. Hang your coat and personal items on the hooks on the library door. Tote bags, computer cases, etc. may be placed on or next to the shelves under the window. Just keep with you the materials essential for note taking.
2. Pencils only may be used in the library. Pens, markers, etc. are NOT permitted. Laptop computers and tablets are welcome. Scanners are not allowed.
3. To protect our historical materials, no smoking is allowed in the building. Eating and drinking are prohibited on the second floor.
4. Our volunteers will assist you with finding appropriate materials to begin your research. Visitors are allowed in the research library only. Materials needed from other areas will be retrieved by a volunteer.
5. All library/archival materials must be handled carefully; use only one folder at a time and keep the papers in their existing order. Do not place books or volumes face down or stack open books on top of each other. Do not lean or press on archival materials. Do not trace maps or other records. Please use gloves, if you are asked to do so.
6. No library/archival materials may be removed from the library.
7. Please leave books on the table when done. Do not reshelf. All other materials should be returned to a volunteer.
Unless restricted or protected by copyright law, photocopies of library material will be supplied for research purposes at the rate of 20 cents per page. A volunteer will photocopy the materials for you. Archival materials other than bound volumes and photographs may be photocopied at the discretion of the librarian or research assistant. If permitted, researchers may use a digital camera without flash to copy archival materials and bound volumes. No photocopies or digital photos of photographs are permitted. Should there be a need, researchers may purchase a digital copy for a fee of $15.00 per image.
Researchers are advised that it is their responsibility, not that of the historical society, to obtain copyright clearance to publish or otherwise reproduce or distribute library and archival material.
If publishing material from the archives, please credit the Somerset County Historical Society.
Example: John Smith, obituary. Somerset Messenger Gazette (Bridgewater, N.J.) 12 June 1958, p. 6. Accessed at Somerset County Historical Society, Bridgewater, NJ, 22 Nov 2015.
Policy updated 08 September 2017